10.29.2008

In The Hospital Room




When I woke up I was in the hospital room. Nanny Flowers and Paka were arguing. Paka said, “You’re right dear. I’ve been no good. Always telling Kahu, she’s no use because she’s a girl. Always growling at her. Growl, growl, growl. And I never knew, until you showed me the stone.” His face showed his emotion of how bad he felt. Then Nanny Flowers said bitterly, “And I should have cracked you over the head with it too.” “Your right, dear, you’re right,” Paka said. “I’m always right, you old Paka,” Nanny Flowers responded. But before she could go on about how bad he treated me I sighed and said, “You two are always arguing, just like the old mother whale and the bull whale.” Then I started to cry. I and I said, “I fell off.” “What?” Paka asked. “I fell off the whale,” I said. “if I were a boy I would have held on tight. I’m sorry I’m not a boy.” Then Paka said, “You are the best great-grandchild in the whole wide world.” I hugged him and said happily crying, “Oh thank you, Paka. You’re the best granddad in the whole wide world.” He and Nanny Flowers said I love you . Then I told everyone to be quiet. I heard the whales saying, “Child, your people await you. Return to the Kingdom of Tane and fulfill your destiny.” “Can’t you hear them?” I asked Paka. “Oh Paka, can’t you hear them? I’ve been listening to them for ages now. Oh, Paka, the whales are still singing.” I know now that my Paka loves and believes in me. I can now be comfortable in myself and embrace who I am in my culture.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i really like the pictures, it helps me picture what is happening